For the last decade, Ive been employed by our Victorian State Government to run workshops to assist people to develop a business. Its been fulfilling in many ways and helps me to understand why some businesses succeed and others fail. Last night I went to an official function where the Minister for Small Business stood up and said that business is like primitive survival. You kill, you eat.
Not having heard that metaphor before I listened more intently to the rest of his speech. He went on to say that everyone today is time poor and yet we seem to waste time on meaningless tasks. If we just spent more time on tracking and killing the prey we would never starve.
Enter Social Media. Not for a very long time have I seen such an application that has engrossed and taken over peoples lives and even their businesses. Everyone is Facebooking, tweeting, Instagram ing, and texting but for what business purpose?
Here are 5 tips to help you manage Social Media, and not have Social Media manage you.
1. Check it once only daily. That little red numbered box that pops up is a distraction and a shiny object that takes away your focus and time. Dont have a live Social Media feed on any of your devices during working hours.
2. Create Events. When you have a workshop or training to advertise then create an Event Page. These are useful to measure interest as well as get registration and payment details.
3. Follow other businesses. I follow several businesses that post events that I could attend where I can network with my target market. They also post valuable information such as statistics and research data that I use in my presentations.
4. Get other businesses to advertise you on their Social Media pages. Other businesses are always looking for content to increase their likes and followers. Councils and Community Health organizations are more than willing to advertise your FREE Laughter Club that makes you money (see last months Prozone Business Tip re this). If you have regular quarterly events like the ones that Laughter Yoga Australia has created they will willingly advertise these for free also. Recently I asked an organization that employed me to do a gig to advertise it on their Social Media and put a feedback to Laughter Yoga Australia and they happily obliged. I did the same for a person at the same gig who took a photo for Instagram who has thousands of followers.
5. Dont mix social media with business media. If you wish to spend hours and hours of your personal time on personal Social Media then feel free to do so. To maintain a better work-life balance though ensure that when youre at work that youre only checking your Social Media business feeds (only once daily), and vice versa.
If you have any further questions regarding the business application for Social Media then please feel free to email me at email@example.com at any time. Any recommendations for future topics are also appreciated.
Merv Neal is a Laughter Yoga Master Trainer and the CEO of Laughter Yoga Australia and New Zealand. He has successfully owned and operated his own businesses for more than 40 years. He has created a Laughter Yoga Business Training Program, as well as the Business Mentors and Coaches Program, to help others to take Laughter Yoga to commercial organizations, and/or to create a Laughter Yoga business of their own. More information can be found at http://www.