Over the last month you may have seen some Prozone Facebook photos of folks presenting Laughter Yoga on some big stages to some big groups. You may have also said to yourself (as I did when I was starting out) One day that will be me OR I could never do that. Either way youre right. The road to success starts in your head and its all about self-belief.
When Im mentoring, coaching, or assisting people to develop their laughter businesses, I dont always listen to the problem they have as much as the words that they use to describe it. Words and phrases like I cant, I wont, am unable to, fear, maybe, dont like to, uncertain, unsure, and will never happen, are regularly used by people who are struggling for success.
So how do we change the narrative in our head? You can go to a psychotherapist, therapist or counselor and start there if you like. As this is a Business Tip Blog I will recommend only more tangible ideas. And these are the tips that can help to stop fuelling that negative narrative at a confidence level.
Here are 5 business tips to help build your self-belief.
1. Be Positive. Start to eliminate negative words from your vocabulary. Be consciously aware of how you deal with challenges and how easily you can find and implement a solution. My best sales people used to tell me as they went out the door that they were off to MAKE a sale. The worst ones would tell me they were off to TRY to make a sale.
2. Prepare. Know that you have all of the knowledge and understanding that you need to talk the talk as well as walk the walk. So many people say that they know the answer without understanding what the question is. If you want to stand on a big stage and make some big statements then do your homework at a higher level than scanning the Internet for other peoples opinions. Make sure you can back it up with some facts and data also. Thats one of the main reasons that I did two of my own research studies.
3. Plan. I never do any presentation without a step-by-step plan as to what Im going to say and do. It acts as my cheat sheet and confidence booster in case I lose my way. I very rarely refer to it except before, and then after, when I debrief.
4. Practice. Practice your presentation that is on your plan. Dont do it in your head. Do it out aloud and even tape it to replay it back to yourself to see if youre impressed by what you hear. If youre not then theres a chance that others wont be either. You will get most of the practice that you need at your Laughter Club as well as doing free gigs for worthwhile charities.
5. Persevere. You become a professional after 10,000 hours of doing it. Doing a 2 day Leader Training and then thinking that youre ready to take on the world will wont work. Talk to any of the people who are doing the big gigs on the big stages and they will tell you the story of years of hard work, sweat, and disappointment.
If you have any further questions regarding building your business self-belief then please feel free to email me at email@example.com at anytime. Any recommendations for future topics are also appreciated.
Merv Neal is a Laughter Yoga Master Trainer and the CEO of Laughter Yoga Australia and New Zealand. He has successfully owned and operated his own businesses for more than 40 years. He has created a Laughter Yoga Business Training Program, as well as the Business Mentors and Coaches Program, to help others to take Laughter Yoga to commercial organizations, and/or to create a Laughter Yoga business of their own. More information can be found at http://www.laughteryogaaustralia.org or http://www.mervneal.com