We have compiled some basic statistics for Laughter Yoga presentations related to stress and depression and Laughter Yoga with seniors. While preparing PowerPoint presentations for our Foundation in New York for fundraising, I thought this would be very useful for laughter professionals while making any LY presentations related to stress and depression or with seniors.
Stress And Depression
- Clinical or major depression is the top cause of disability throughout the world.
- Recent statistics suggest roughly 7 percent people suffer depression after age 18 at some point in their lives.
- As many as 1 in 33 children and 1 in 8 adolescents have clinical depression. Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for ages 10 to 24.
- About 6 million people are affected by late life depression, but only 10% ever receive treatment.
- By the year 2020, depression will be the 2nd most common health problem in the world.
- In the United States alone, businesses may spend anywhere from $12 70 billion caring for or paying for the medical expenses of employeesthat have depression or suffer from a related mental illness.
- Senior Citizen Longevity & Statistics
- The senior citizen population is on brink of explosion in the world and in United States
- U.S. seniors may increase by 40% in five years, world senior age group to triple by 2050
- The worlds 65-and-older population is projected to triple by mid-century, from 516 million in 2009 to 1.53 billion in 2050.
- As the U.S. population ages, spending on entitlement programs such as Social Security and Medicare will rise sharply. Total spending on these two programs is projected to increase from today's level of 8.4 percent of GDP to 12.5 percent in 2030.