Dates: January 16 - 20, 2014 & April 14-18, 2014.
( Program starts at 9.30 AM on Day 1 and ends by 2 PM on 5th Day )
Laughter and Silence Retreat
A new self-awareness program has been developed by Madan Kataria MD, based on an age-old Indian wisdom stating that life is like a house with five rooms, those being - self, family, work, social and spiritual. If your life is to be balanced, every room needs to be well cared for and in order.
The Laughter and Silence Retreat is slightly different from the popular Indian silent meditation, Vipassana, where complete silence without even eye contact is strictly observed for 10 days. During the Laughter and Silence Retreat, while observing periods of silence, unconditional periods of laughter will periodically be interjected throughout the day.
Seriously contemplating the condition of each room in your life during periods of silence, while at the same time listening to your thoughts and journaling all that surfaces during those periods, will allow you to develop fresh, new insights about how to effectively deal with events in your personal, professional, social, as well as spiritual life.
During intervals of complete silence, you will self-examine each room, then break the silence with short periods of laughter and discussion. The goal of the program is to assist you in living a more balanced, happy, healthy, and peaceful life.
Silencing your tongue and mind on a regular basis will raise your consciousness, allowing it to absorb truth, not only that which surrounds you, but also that which lies buried within. Happening slowly in stages, over a period of time, practiced periods of silence will allow you to evolve to a higher plane where truth will be readily seen and more easily lived. Your house, you life, will then be in order.
A Typical Day
During the 5-day retreat, every morning there will be an orientation session with Dr. Kataria, detailing the importance on the focus room of the day. For 30 minutes in the morning, afternoon and evening the group will gather together to practice laughter meditation. In between those times, total silence will be observed. You will observe your breath, while contemplating the condition of the room of the day. During that time, every thought that enters your mind should be written down. Those intervals of silence must be completely without the use of computers or cell phones.
For two hours every evening, the entire group will gather together for a dialog program, sharing experiences of the day, known as “parallel learning”. No one will be teaching during this time, but you will be learning to listen to yourself. Not only are you your best teacher, but you will also be learning from the experience of others.
Dr Kataria will also share:
Five Principles Of Inner Spirit Of Laughter - Over the years, yogic laughter helped me discover the principles of the inner spirit of laughter. My personal stories, based on my belief systems of sensible and virtuous living will hopefully motivate and inspire you to cultivate a more positive mental attitude, and will enable you to glide through the challenges of life with a smile on your face.
Five Spiritual Laws - Laughter Yoga has an uncomplicated spiritual component without involving religion that has given it even more credibility. Spiritual laws have been demonstrated through some very interesting stories which will help you look inward and generate a higher level of spiritual thinking, genuineness, compassion and sensitivity toward everyday situations and people.
A Brief Overview of the Concept
Focus and Concentration
As a young student, I used to experiment with a magnifying lens, focusing rays of sunlight onto a piece of paper, watching with child-like amazement as it burned. Such is the power of the human mind – focusing the mind on a specific thing can light a fire.
Jumping haphazardly from one thing to another, unable to reach the goals you want in your life is the result of a mind unfocused. Learning to focus, learning to direct your mental attention and energy toward a specific area in your life, will result in tremendous personal power, yielding unlimited growth potential. The practice of silence will unleash your power, allowing you to develop focus, concentration, along with improved efficiency within your daily life and ultimately, realization of your goals.
Contemplation is an active thought process used during the silence retreat, allowing your mind to recognize its current actions and behavior. During that active thought process, your mind will be able to focus more clearly, enabling you to develop specific plans, strategies and commitments necessary for those changes to occur, thus improving the overall quality of your life.
The mind has a sly way of slipping into the past, projecting into the future, while trying to avoid the present. The past is past – the future has not yet happened, so how can life, itself, be enjoyed if you are not clearly present in this very moment? During the silence retreat, learning to observe your breath will bring you more fully into the present. Placing awareness on your breath will allow you to become one with the moment, as you more fully experience the beauty of life as it truly and currently exists.
All great thinkers and philosophers have created their best while in silence.
Silence creates an introspective mood, allowing you to get in touch with the real you, your true self.
Realizations will come to you, enabling you to know more about yourself and your relationship with others. Ideas about what\'s going on with your life and how to handle those situations will come to you. Silence will allow you to hear your own voice without being contaminated by the voice of others. During silence, everything will stand still. You will no longer be doing, instead you will be looking dispassionately and objectively at your life. Unlike the false mind, your true mind, your true self, will be open to the truth and realities of life.
In silence, your inner voice will be heard more clearly. In silence, problems will be solved. In silence, there will be room for contemplation and introspection. In silence, new projects will be developed. In silence, there will be no distractions. In silence, there will be no fear. In silence, answers will be found. In silence, there is only love.
Why Spiritual Retreat
- We all want to be happy and do not want any pain or suffering. We all have different needs and desires, which if unfulfilled, lead to a stressful situation. As we try to achieve these goals, many times we find ourselves very frustrated and helpless, which hampers the accomplishment of happiness, and creates anxiety and constant nervous tension. It is then that people invoke a higher intelligence or a higher force like spirituality to help them cope with their inabilities and accept reality. Spiritual practices help us to tackle problems and face them with equanimity. We can take the ups and downs of life in our stride and no longer yo-yo between extremes–climb peaks of happiness and then plummet to depths of despair. It helps us cope.
- Spirituality is all about working smart, not working hard. One has to put in a lot of effort if working with lower intelligence as it has limited abilities and skills. On the other hand, spirituality is all about working smart and getting maximum results with minimum efforts. With a spiritual approach one can attain everything that one ever wanted with minimum effort. This is how universal intelligence works. Instead of toiling and struggling, one needs to flow effortlessly. It’s like walking with the wind assisting you from behind. All one has to do, is to align oneself with spiritual laws and laws of nature and let these forces glide you to happiness.
- Spirituality helps to create new ideas, new visions, creativity, and intuitive abilities to reach our aspirations. It helps build a magnetic aura around you that attracts people towards you. It creates an energy that gives a sense of security, power and fearlessness.
- Better Emotional Intelligence Handling emotions is perhaps the most difficult of all human abilities. We spend almost 75 per cent of our time trying to sort out the varied and complex emotions, while the other 25 per cent is spent in emotional reactions to the situation and the people around us. Negative emotions, literally drain our energy and affect the quality of our lives. Since it is difficult to manage these reactions with a logical mind, you need to resort to a process that will help you to rise above all that is depressing. This is where the spiritual approach is helpful as it has the power to alter the negativity of the mind to a positive pattern.
I have personally used this approach to spread the laughter mission worldwide. With hardly any resources or any great assets, I managed to set up thousands of Laughter Clubs in over 72 countries. It was spirituality which helped me cope with all obstacles that came my way. It is indeed a powerful tool which helps in realization and fulfillment of one’s dreams and aspirations.
Medium of instruction: English
The Venue and Accommodation :
Have a look at the venue of the training:
The School of Ancient Wisdom
I.V.C. Road, Devanahalli 562110,
- This venue is a retreat center with lots of nature, not a hotel and they serve vegetarian food.
- This venue is very close to International Airport, Bangalore. Just 15 minutes drive by taxi.
For Registration, Training Fee, Accommodation & Meals Package please contact - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spiritual Retreat + Teacher Training Combo Offer
Immediately after the retreat there is a Certified Teacher Training Program from November 26 - 30, 2013, January 16 - 20, 2014 & April 14-18, 2014 Click here to know more about Laughter Yoga Teacher Training program. Please contact us for special discount if you want to do both the programs.
For Registration and room booking please contact - email@example.com